Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) ensures ethical and sustainable manufacturing in all stages of production, and it also sets a world-wide recognized standard. All of our products are made with 100% Organically Grown Cotton that adhere to the highest global standards of organic textile production, which holds our company accountable to strict social and ecological criteria, including cotton cultivation, sustainable packaging, safe fabric finishes, and fair treatment to workers.
Textiles and Packaging
For the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) to certify a particular product, the entire textile process has to be monitored strictly and closely. First of all, governmental organic farming standards certification needs to prove that the cotton fiber is grown and farmed without any GMO seeds.
Only products that have at least 70% of organic fibers can become certified by GOTS. All of the chemical inputs such as auxiliaries and dyestuffs used need to meet specific technological and environmental criteria. Following ecological aspects, the choice of accessories is limited as well. For any wet-processing unit, a functional wastewater treatment plant is mandatory, and all processors need to comply with minimum social criteria. There are many more things that GOTS keeps in check, such as:
- All of the bleaches have to be based on the oxygen
- Packaging material mustn’t contain PVC
- All wastewater treatment must be treated in a functional wastewater treatment plant
Global Organic Textile Standard has some new regulations around the packaging of the products, which we are following closely to make sure that each part of our organic baby clothing is as healthy and eco-friendly as possible.
Another important aspect is that all of the people that are involved in the production have to be treated ethically. Their social criteria include guidelines for workers’ rights, nondiscrimination, safety, and more. The GOTS is very important because it’s keeping companies transparent and accountable so that customers can feel confident that the purchases they make are the best choice for them, their families, and the world.
- Safe and hygienic working conditions
- Freely chosen employment
- Child labor mustn’t be used
- Harsh treatment is prohibited
- No discrimination
- Not excessive working hours
- Living wages
- All chemical inputs have to be evaluated and meeting all basic requirements on biodegradability and toxicity
- Synthetic sizing agents are restricted
- Bleaches need to be based on oxygen
- All of the organic fiber clothes have to be separated from the conventional and clearly identified
- Restrictions for accessories
- Azo dyes that are releasing carcinogenic amine compounds are prohibited
- Prohibition of critical inputs such as formaldehyde, toxic heavy metals, aromatic solvents, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and their enzymes
- Discharge printing methods that include using aromatic solvents and plastisol printing methods using PVC and phthalates are prohibited
- Packaging material mustn’t contain PVC, cardboard or paper, hang tags, swing tags, and similar must be either certified according to FSC or PEFC or recycled.
- All of the operators need an environmental policy, including goals and target procedures, to minimize discharges and waste.
Once the whole process is monitored, from farm to the final product and meet GOTS requirements and criteria, manufacturers are then allowed to use the GOTS label in their final product.
At I’ve arrived organics, we are proud to say that we anticipate in inspection and certification program before our final products are labeled as GOTS certified. All our organic baby clothing collections are made using GOTS certified organic cotton. You’ll feel good knowing where your newborn’s clothes come from, and that you played an essential part in improving the environment.